About Valdine Mishkin
Canadian Cellist Valdine Ritchie Mishkin performs with Third Angle New Music, FearNOMusic, March Modern, 45th Parallel, cross-over group Portland Cello Project, is half of Duo Apaixionado with Peruvian guitarist Alfredo Muro, and moonlights as an extra cellist with the Oregon Symphony. A champion of contemporary music, she has premiered numerous works including composers John Luther Adams, Kenji Bunch, Nancy Ives, and Karim Al-Zand, can be heard on Third Angle Records and Albany Records, and is a frequent guest on All-Classical FM Portland. Beginning studies at age 3 and making her solo debut at age 10 with the Winnipeg Symphony, she has since performed concerti with the Sunnyside Symphony, Chehalem Symphony, and the Mercury Ensemble.
On faculty at Willamette University and with a bustling private studio, her students are frequent finalists in local and national competitions and hold leadership positions in area youth orchestras. She serves as an adjudicator, coach, clinician, conference presenter, author, and on the board of OR-ASTA. She holds Doctoral and Master degrees from Rice University under Lynn Harrell and Norman Fischer, and a Bachelor
degree from McGill University under Antonio Lysy.
For more about Valdine’s Performance website, visit vandineritchiemishkin.com
Valdine’s pedagogical approach relies equally on three elements for a well-rounded music education:
- private instruction with daily practice of each week’s lesson, with each student committing to a minimum practice time-requirement;
- general musical education through ensemble playing, ear-training, music theory & history, with each student required to participate in a group class, ensemble, or other music instrument/course outside of their private lesson.
- gaining experience and confidence by regularly performing in a close-knit peer group, with each student performing in monthly studio class and bi-annual recitals as well as optional outreach performances, workshops, exams and competitions.
Suzuki Method used for young beginners (aged 2.5-6), mixed Suzuki and traditional methods for older students, college prep/”traditional” style used for advanced students.
Tuition Amounts and Payment Dates:
Fall, Winter & Spring terms include weekly lessons, monthly performance studio classes and/or recitals, graduation recitals, outreach performances, competitions, and studio-wide events such as practice challenges and parent nights. All private students must participate in a weekly ensemble, such as Suzuki-style group class/cello ensemble, orchestra, or chamber ensemble. Students may choose to participate in regional and national organizations’ activities through Valdine’s memberships and affiliations (Music Teachers National Association, Suzuki Association of the Americas, and American String Teachers Association) and complete practical and/or theory exams through the Royal Conservatory of Toronto, the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music, OR-ASTA-cap exams, or OMTA Syllabus.
Fall Term 2022, Mon Sept 12- Thurs December 8 (11 weeks due to surgery)
- Recital on Sun Dec 4 at 5:30 pm at Neighborhood Church
- Intermediate-Advanced Studio Classes: Sun Oct 2 & Sun Nov 27 from 5:30 to 7 pm at Valley View
- Cello Ensemble followed by Studio Class Book 2-5: all from 5:30 to 7 pm at Valley View on Sun Sept 18th, Oct 9, Oct 23, and Nov 6
- Thanksgiving Break; no lessons Mon Nov 21-Sun Nov 27.
Winter Term 2023, Mon January 2 – Thurs. April 6 (13 weeks, 1 week Fall makeup)
- Oregon Symphony Prelude Performance Sunday Jan 15 at 1:30 PM, call time 12:15 PM
- Intermediate-Advanced Studio Classes: 5:30-7pm at Valley View on Sun Feb 5 & March 12.
- Cello Ensemble followed by Studio Class Book 2-5: all from 5:30-7 pm at Valley View on Sun Jan 8, Jan 29, Feb 12, Feb 26, March 19*, and April 2*
- Spring Break; no lessons Fri March 24 – Fri March 31
Spring Term 2023, Sun April 9 – Sun June 11, plus 3 flex-scheduled summer lessons
- Recital and Practice Challenge Party: Jun 11th from 5:30 to 7 pm
- Intermediate-Advanced Studio Classes: on Sun Apr 16, Jun 4
- Cello Ensemble followed by Studio Class Book 2-5: all from 5:30 to 7 pm at Valley View on Sun (*from Winter term March 19 & April 2), Apr 23 & May 21
- 10 Week Practice Challenge after Spring Break, Mon April 3 – Sun Jun 11
Karim Al-Zand: Lamentations on the Disasters of War
℗ 2009 Albany – Ensemble: Enso String Quartet Composer: Karim Al-Zand Artist: Katherine Lewis Artist: Valdine Ritchie Mishkin Runtime: 10:46
Cello Tuesdays with Valdine Mishkin! (A Side dish for your tacos!)
Portland Cello Project – Streamed live on Jun 16, 2020 featuring Valdine Mishkin performing music for solo cello written and arranged by people who play instruments with a C string!
The Gorgeous Cello!
Humpday House Concerts – Amadeus Chamber Orchestra. June 17, 2020
MYS Virtual Hangout: Valdine Mishkin
Streamed live on Jun 25, 2020
Elgar Concerto for Cello and Orchestra, op. 85 in e minor | Valdine Mishkin, Cello
Sunnyside Symphony Orchestra Concert I – Oct. 20th , 2019
Performance & Event News
Wine Wednesdays: Earth Day Edition Livestream featuring Valdine Ritchie Mishkin, cello (Portland, OR)
Wednesday, April 22, 2020 (PDT) @ 5:30 pm - 6:00 pm Third Angle New Music Online event, Anywhere in the world, WA Valdine Ritchie Mishkin, cello Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day with Third Angle New Music for our inaugural Wine Wednesdays livestream! Pour a...
Memorial gathering to honor the life of Sonja Myklebust
Dear Friends,Nothing shakes us more than losing a loved one way too young. Our friend, cellist, and beloved teacher Sonja Myklebust passed away last Thursday evening after a year-long fight with brain cancer- she was only 34 years old. We are holding a drop-in...
ThirdAngle Wine Wednesdays, Starting Nov. 20th
November 20, 2019 James Shields, Clarinet Laura Metcalf, Cello January 15, 2020 Chris Whyte, Percussion February 19, 2020 Mario Diaz, Guitar Sarah Tiedemann, Flute March 18,2020 Lisa Neher, Mezzo-Soprano Valdine Mishkin, Cello Cost: FREE and open to the public...
ThirdAngle-Homecomings Thu & Fri, Oct 17 & 18, 2019 at 7:30pm
TICKETS Thu & Fri, Oct 17 & 18, 2019 at 7:30pmStudio 2 @ N.E.W. | 810 SE Belmont St. There must be something in the water here! Join Team 3A for a celebratory homecoming of composers who honed their craft in Oregon before heading out to take the music world by...
Portland Piano Duo Festival Launch Concert: María García / Momoko Muramatsu
Hello Chamber Concert Enthusiasts! Below you'll find a flyer for the upcoming concert of my dear friends and colleagues Maria Garcia and Momoko Muramatsu of 20 Digitus Duo. Maria and I will be performing a cello and piano recital in the upcoming months and Momoko's...
Valdine Mishkin performs Elgar Concerto in e minor with the Sunnyside Symphony, October 20th, 2019
Cellist Valdine Ritchie Mishkin performs Elgar's Concerto in e minor with the Sunnyside Symphony under the baton of Travis Hatton on Sunday, October 20th at 4 PM at Sunnyside SDA Church, 10501 SE Market Street, Portland, Oregon. For more: sunnysidesymphony.org