- interested families are asked to attend a group class, and/or a studio performance class before scheduling a ‘Meet and greet’
- We require that all registering students and parents attend a meet and greet event at least once before any class scheduling is discussed.
FOR STUDENTS AND PARENTS
Please attend regular lessons and group classes with your child as a quiet observer, stepping in only if you wish to correct behavioral problems. Parents of students over the age of 10 are not required to attend lessons and group classes, however, parental supervision of at-home practice time is required for all ages. -Take notes and/or video at every lesson, and alert Valdine about questions and concerns at the beginning of the lesson so she can plan the lesson time accordingly.
Please monitor daily practice (at least the length of your lesson time is expected) from the notes made during the lesson. Refer to the Repetition Games handout to make it fun and effective!
Quietly observing siblings are welcome. If sibling(s) are disrupting the lesson, please find alternate care.
Student-parent-teacher interaction at lessons should be courteous, calm, and focused.
Please refrain from cell phone/email use during lessons. If you need to answer an important call during a lesson, please step outside.
Turn on the appropriate Suzuki recording, playing it in language immersion style in the home and family vehicle. This helps the students tremendously with memory and absorbing musical style.
Attend concerts, watch other cellists’ YouTube videos, seek out cello/music-related media, etc.
Missed Lessons Policy:
If the teacher becomes ill or cancels due to extenuating circumstances, a make-up lesson will be given at a mutually convenient time.
For student absences, make-up lessons are only given during vacancies in Valdine’s regular teaching schedule.
If a parent/student cannot attend their lesson, please:
- Notify Valdine ASAP of a future absence via email or text.
- A Zoom, FaceTime or Google Meet lesson will occur if the absence is due to mild/family member illness, weather, or transport problem.
For lessons missed due to vacations or activity/appointment conflicts- if there is an open slot that week, it will be offered it to you.
- Valdine will send out an email to the studio that your slot is open if Zoom/FaceTime/Meet or an alternate slot is not available. You may pick up missed lesson(s) at any time by responding to “open slot” emails when another student cancels.
- Picking up missed lessons can occur in any term, not just the term when the lesson is missed. This policy is in place to minimize office hours of tracking attendance and rearranging schedules, keeping tuition rates lower. Make-up lessons are not guaranteed, and no refunds, credits, or extra lessons are given for student absences.