About Valdine Mishkin
Canadian Cellist Valdine Ritchie Mishkin performs with Third Angle New Music, FearNOMusic, March Modern, 45th Parallel, cross-over group Portland Cello Project, is half of Duo Apaixionado with Peruvian guitarist Alfredo Muro, and moonlights as an extra cellist with the Oregon Symphony. A champion of contemporary music, she has premiered numerous works including composers John Luther Adams, Kenji Bunch, Nancy Ives, and Karim Al-Zand, can be heard on Third Angle Records and Albany Records, and is a frequent guest on All-Classical FM Portland. Beginning studies at age 3 and making her solo debut at age 10 with the Winnipeg Symphony, she has since performed concerti with the Sunnyside Symphony, Chehalem Symphony, and the Mercury Ensemble.
On faculty at Willamette University and with a bustling private studio, her students are frequent finalists in local and national competitions and hold leadership positions in area youth orchestras. She serves as an adjudicator, coach, clinician, conference presenter, author, and on the board of OR-ASTA. She holds Doctoral and Master degrees from Rice University under Lynn Harrell and Norman Fischer, and a Bachelor
degree from McGill University under Antonio Lysy.
For more about Valdine’s Performance website, visit vandineritchiemishkin.com
Valdine’s pedagogical approach relies equally on three elements for a well-rounded music education:
- private instruction with daily practice of each week’s lesson, with each student committing to a minimum practice time-requirement;
- general musical education through ensemble playing, ear-training, music theory & history, with each student required to participate in a group class, ensemble, or other music instrument/course outside of their private lesson.
- gaining experience and confidence by regularly performing in a close-knit peer group, with each student performing in monthly studio class and bi-annual recitals as well as optional outreach performances, workshops, exams and competitions.
Suzuki Method used for young beginners (aged 2.5-6), mixed Suzuki and traditional methods for older students, college prep/”traditional” style used for advanced students.
Tuition Amounts and Payment Dates:
Fall, Winter & Spring terms include weekly lessons, monthly performance studio classes and/or recitals, graduation recitals, outreach performances, competitions, and studio-wide events such as practice challenges and parent nights. All private students must participate in a weekly ensemble, such as Suzuki-style group class/cello ensemble, orchestra, or chamber ensemble. Students may choose to participate in regional and national organizations’ activities through Valdine’s memberships and affiliations (Music Teachers National Association, Suzuki Association of the Americas, and American String Teachers Association) and complete practical and/or theory exams through the Royal Conservatory of Toronto, the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music, OR-ASTA-cap exams, or OMTA Syllabus.
Fall Term 2022, Mon Sept 12- Thurs December 8 (11 weeks due to surgery)
- Recital on Sun Dec 4 at 5:30 pm at Neighborhood Church
- Intermediate-Advanced Studio Classes: Sun Oct 2 & Sun Nov 27 from 5:30 to 7 pm at Valley View
- Cello Ensemble followed by Studio Class Book 2-5: all from 5:30 to 7 pm at Valley View on Sun Sept 18th, Oct 9, Oct 23, and Nov 6
- Thanksgiving Break; no lessons Mon Nov 21-Sun Nov 27.
Winter Term 2023, Mon January 2 – Thurs. April 6 (13 weeks, 1 week Fall makeup)
- Oregon Symphony Prelude Performance Sunday Jan 15 at 1:30 PM, call time 12:15 PM
- Intermediate-Advanced Studio Classes: 5:30-7pm at Valley View on Sun Feb 5 & March 12.
- Cello Ensemble followed by Studio Class Book 2-5: all from 5:30-7 pm at Valley View on Sun Jan 8, Jan 29, Feb 12, Feb 26, March 19*, and April 2*
- Spring Break; no lessons Fri March 24 – Fri March 31
Spring Term 2023, Sun April 9 – Sun June 11, plus 3 flex-scheduled summer lessons
- Recital and Practice Challenge Party: Jun 11th from 5:30 to 7 pm
- Intermediate-Advanced Studio Classes: on Sun Apr 16, Jun 4
- Cello Ensemble followed by Studio Class Book 2-5: all from 5:30 to 7 pm at Valley View on Sun (*from Winter term March 19 & April 2), Apr 23 & May 21
- 10 Week Practice Challenge after Spring Break, Mon April 3 – Sun Jun 11
Karim Al-Zand: Lamentations on the Disasters of War
℗ 2009 Albany – Ensemble: Enso String Quartet Composer: Karim Al-Zand Artist: Katherine Lewis Artist: Valdine Ritchie Mishkin Runtime: 10:46
Cello Tuesdays with Valdine Mishkin! (A Side dish for your tacos!)
Portland Cello Project – Streamed live on Jun 16, 2020 featuring Valdine Mishkin performing music for solo cello written and arranged by people who play instruments with a C string!
The Gorgeous Cello!
Humpday House Concerts – Amadeus Chamber Orchestra. June 17, 2020
MYS Virtual Hangout: Valdine Mishkin
Streamed live on Jun 25, 2020
Elgar Concerto for Cello and Orchestra, op. 85 in e minor | Valdine Mishkin, Cello
Sunnyside Symphony Orchestra Concert I – Oct. 20th , 2019
Performance & Event News
Recording Release – Lisa Neher’s Seedling & Branches
Program Notes From Lisa Neher's website where you can sample and buy the recording: seedling was written as a gift for my Grandpa Bernie Harvey in honor of his 80th birthday. He was an avid gardener of corn, pumpkin, roses, apples, and all manner of growing things and...
Fresh Air Fest July 11, Sauvie Island – A New Music Mini-Festival
A New Music Mini-Festival Join Third Angle New Music for an outdoor new music mini-festival at the idyllic Topaz Farm, located just 10-miles from downtown Portland on Sauvie Island. The afternoon and evening includes three one-hour sets (with breaks in between) and...
Bach Suites presentation for OR-ASTA Sunday April 25th
Oregon ASTA is delighted to present a series of presentations about the solo violin and cello music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Violinist Tomas Cotik's class is open to string players of all stringed instruments as it addresses general issues of Bach interpretation....
MTNA Junior Performance Competition Results
Dear Competitors, Teachers and Parents, Thank you for your outstanding performances in this year’s competitions. We regret not being able to hear you in person due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but appreciate your participation in the online finals during this...
THE PLACE WE BEGAN: Music of John Luther Adams
THE PLACE WE BEGAN: Music of John Luther Adams Streaming Concert Thursday, Dec 3, 2020 @ 7:00pm Filming location: Congregation Beth Israel Access Livestream on the JLA Concert Page Video will remain available to ticket holders for 48 hours after it airs. Pulitzer...
Everything Means Nothing to Me
Everything Means Nothing To Me SEP. 17, 2020 The recorded works of our 2018 concert “A Fond Farewell,” reimagining the music of singer-songwriter Elliott Smith as a suite of classical art-songs. Presents the music of six nationally lauded composers: Christopher...